Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Taking a break

"I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." -- Abraham Lincoln

Today marks the first day of my next "phase" in life: a return to the role of full-time student. The last time I lived this role, Jimmy Carter was president, gas cost $1.39 a gallon, mini skirts and streakers were the rage, and the biggest tickets on campus were to see Elvis or the Beach Boys. My trusty little typewriter, steady supply of "White-Out", portable stereo and favorite Carole King albums made those trips to South Bend with me each fall. Times have changed!

This time, I'm stepping down from my job as admission counselor to nearly 300 students -- an eclectic mix of international, missionary kid "MKs", expats, and transfers -- whose concerns have become my own these past few years. As my territory has grown exponentially, so have my responsibilities. And while the joy of working with young people remains (indeed, it's what spurs me on to finish my MA!), the pressure and demands of the job are stealing my energies.

So for now, I'm a stay-at-home student chopping away at the research before me. Just like the first time around, I like being a student and the challenge of pushing back the cobwebs to take in new ideas and information. And thanks to this modern world we live in, I can access sources and images from around the world and up-and-down the timeline of human history from the comfort of my study or even (when temps fall below 90) my lanai.

I don't know exactly what the future holds or even what I'll be doing when I "grow up". This is scary and exciting at the same time -- a step of faith for my family and me. But I have a true peace in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment